Thursday, October 11, 2012

A Mecca of Change

Well here we are in October 2012 - Amazing things have happened: I have a beautiful 18 mo old baby girl named Anna, born in March of 2011 (yes she was born full term thanks to a perfectly placed cerclage), we sold our house in Tyler, and now... we live in Houston, TX. And that, my friends, is my catch-the-blog-up summary (It seems impossible to fill in this blog with the stories from the past, so I am not even going to try). 

So...

About the move:  I can't give any clear reason why we moved - we just wanted to and it seemed like a good idea at the time.  David could look into a career change, and I could try out jobs in a new place.  Mia could have more opportunities to get the assistance that she needs, and well just... because, because, because....  we're grown-ups and we wanted something different.  We'll leave it at that.

Anna: Oh what a beautiful and perfect little being.  She is troublesome, smart, and already asserting her will.  She is so very different from her sister Mia but still an amazingly bright light to this world. Her curiosity and her ability to understand things is overwhelming and impressive. How do such little creatures absorb so much so fast?! Oh what a blessing it is to have this child in my life, and may I never take her for granted! She is a true joy!

Mia: She has embraced this new move to Houston.  She brings joy and a positive energy with her, just like always. She is a constant reminder of what life is about. I love her.

So here we are in Houston. Of course, life happens. Days pass. Routine things take priority -- It really is surprising how the monotony of life gets you no matter where to land. The city really is just like everywhere else, only with more stuff to do and more traffic.  I can't say that I don't like the move, but I can say that moving from Tyler is just this: life happening in a different place with different people.

David is still looking for a job, and he stays with the kids -- something that I don't think that he is too crazy about it but he embracing it anyhow--at least until that great career change comes along...whenever that is.  As for me: I have a contract job working for a school which is busy and impossible, but maybe I will get good grasp on things before long. I hope... 

Social Life: We found a church here called Ecclesia that we are attending.  My sister lives here in Houston, and we see her weekly, but not usually more often than that.  People are a problem here. Never have I lived someplace where it took so long to get to know others.  The school job is busy, and in Houston, everyone commutes from somewhere (usually not close to you), so it really is a big deal to get out and do things with people. Plus, when you have kids, meeting people is pretty limited to kid friendly environments, like church or the park.  Most people are in a rush, and most people just want to get through the week here.  This is definitely a downside to the move, but I know that meeting people here will just take time.  And maybe that isn't a bad thing... relationships with people here require some depth--the fast--paced city life demands it. Not a negative-- just different from what I'm used to.

So... here we are in the city. We'll see how it goes.




No comments:

Post a Comment